Monday 19 May 2014

NAPLAN.... we were warned!

I don't have kids. I do know some people who do have kids and I am sure that the subject of Naplan is a contentious issue.

I'll look at this from my point of view so please feel free to share your thoughts.

After reading something like this after seeing it on the 7:30 report it makes you wonder:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-19/naplan-study-finds-school-testing-program-not-achieving-goals/5463004

Have we heard this before? Yes indeed, when the initial reforms were being brought in: http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/naplanstyle-testing-has-failed-us-schools-20110501-1e395.html

Anyway, I've had a focus on the education sector recently, and a great opinion that I find highly logical comes from Sir Ken Robinson (renowned educator from the UK/US)


I bet he'd have a lot to say about NAPLAN. Standardised testing is needed but when it becomes the only thing that kids (and their creativity) is measured by then we are failing our kids.

You'd probably think to yourself, why would I have any interest in this space especially coming from a data and analytics point of view. My interest stems from the learning perspective, the data helps create and ignite the connection to learning and we need to take advantage of that. It means not using the same yardsticks to measure our kids but using data to better identify ways that each can be successful.

We have to be ruthless about this and do something now, the future is on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment